2008-06-04

Domain to Ya'll's

I've been dabbling with the idea of setting up my own Windows domain at home. The benefits of a roaming profile are that you could have multiple users on the same machine (not simultaneously) with their own files, and that you can take your files to any machine that is a part of the domain.

Now, the downside to all of this is that the you need either Windows 2000 Server (Professional won't do) or Windows 2003 Server. Both of those are hundreds of dollars. That's hundreds of dollars more than I want to spend. So its Samba to the rescue! In case you don't know, Samba is an open source, reverse engineered implementation of the SMB protocol on which Microsoft built their domain system. Samba's free, and it lets you do fancy things like domain and roaming profiles. I've actually just gotten the domain part working after several tries. It sure ain't simple. Next I'll implement the roaming profiles. Maybe I'll even have time to post a tutorial. But for now: it works!

No comments: