2008-06-07

Gardening Day

Today was gardening day. Well, not really because I only had one task to do, and it was to smite this monstrosity:



I don't know what it is or where it came from but all those three feet of growth happened in the last three months. One glance there was nothing and another glance there was this! So I made the executive decision that it must die.

That was easier said than done. There were three stems and each was a quarter to one half inch in diameter. Turns out they were all part of a common root system. A little ways down I found where they all converged: on a bulb at least six inches across. That took some hacking and prying but it eventually succumbed to my manly prowess... And as a parting gift it left behind a few roots that were each at least a half inch in diameter. Now that's crazy.

As an aside, I thought I'd include this shot of our butterfly bush:


The red line is where I hacked it down to before spring began. We've had a lot of rain and you can see how its more than doubled in size. There's actually a light somewhere back in there. I swear you can't kill this thing.

No comments: